Wednesday, August 23, 2006


Today's brief entry is a convention drawing I did of Puck, from Alpha Flight (see previous post). This is one of the best convention sketches I have ever done. Probably because Puck is fun to draw, but also because the guy I was drawing for, Milo, was friendly and jokey!
We joked about artists not usually drawing backgrounds on their convention sketches which is why Puck is happily bouncing through a detailed backdrop of trees and rocks. I commented that Puck was apparently always in pain because of his dwarfism. I had never heard that little people experience regular pain from their condition. I always thought of Puck as a fun character with a happy spirit. If he's in pain he hides it well. That is why he smiles as he says "Ow!".
I think Puck's legs are probably too long in this drawing which will upset Steve but it's too late to change it now.


Jake said...

You Canadians and your silly Alpha Flight. The next time I get a sketch I'm going to get you to draw the 1987 Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup team... or maybe Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.

You know, I haven't gotten a J. Bone sketch since 2004. Looks like I may have to just start going to cons outside of California and Arizona.

j. said...

Hey Jake - From now on I will only be drawing one thing for my convention sketches -- PUCK! Even theme books will have to work around my love for Puck!

And, no, I still will not do nudes!


steven manale said...

I'm very upset about those legs.


Milo said...

It's an awesome sketch, but that guy Milo is really cool and totally deserved it.